- MD, DDS, PhD, FEBOMS
- Medical Doctor, Dental Doctor
- Specialist in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Fellow of the European Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Professor and Chairman, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, international University of Catalonia.
- Director Maxillofacial Institute at Teкnon Medical Center.
OrtoFACIAL Surgery “Reloaded”
Contemporary management of dentofacial deformities is undergoing a profound revolution where compliance with patients’ concerns and expectations should be the main goal. Three distinct aspects are the basis of this redefinition: First, clinical diagnosis and 3D planning must merge the artistic planning of the sagittal and vertical dimensions with the accurate determination of coronal and occlusal variables. Second, the implementation of minimally invasive surgical protocols have reduced patient morbidity and allowed for the simultaneous execution of ancillary procedures and outpatient regimens. Finally, the comprehensive analysis of patient, orthodontist, and surgeon specific variables has given way to the emergence and systematization of new timing schemes. These approaches, namely Surgery First, Early, Late, Last, and Only, have specific indications, technical particularities and limitations. In conclusion, modern treatment of dento-maxillofacial deformity is dramatically evolving, and can no longer be conceived as an inflexible, constant dogma valid for all patient prototypes; it should rather be customized to each particular case and scenario.